Well, after spending quite a bit of time putting my pre-plan together last weekend, I now feel I have a much better idea of where I'm going with my project. Basically, my lesson, which is on Rocks and Minerals, will be taught through the use of a Smart Board. Students will participate in a scavenger hunt of sorts outside the school, looking for examples of rocks and minerals. They will then come back inside to participate in several activities centered around their findings. The main activity will involve the interactive whiteboard and a pre-designed program available to teachers on the BBC Schools website. Here they will virtually explore the different qualities of different rocks and minerals. Through the use of this program and the learning that will ensue, students will then "build" something using one of the highlighted rocks and minerals (I would like to leave the decision as to specifically what they use up to them, but I'm not sure yet). For example, a student might explore the usability of pumice to build a small structure representing a house. Another student will choose marble. Yet another will choose chalk, and so on. They will virtually design what they'll do using Microsoft Paint (or some similar user-friendly, age appropriate paint program) and then will attempt to build it using real rocks and minerals back in the classroom. Finally, students will be graded according to a rubric they had a say in at the beginning (this is a change I made last Tuesday night after listening to all of the benefits of handing over this power to the students). They will also be properly prepared for the summative 3rd Grade Science Benchmark Assessment given by the county.
I feel like I am more open to the changes I'll need to make to my plan in order to move it to the LoTi Level 4a that it needs to be. Handing over the decision making to my students, as well as giving them a say in what the project and rubric looks like, should ensure student success. I look forward to trying to make that happen.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi, Mark,
I really like you rocks & minerals project idea and your ideas for incorporating Smart Board technology along with hands-on activities outside the classroom which sound like something the students will find very enjoyable and beneficial.
I think that allowing your students to participate in the decision-making to the extent that you have described will definitely increase the quality of your lesson and assessment/evaluation and help you reach the LoTi level that you are aiming for.
Sounds like you have a great plan and you've done an excellent job of organizing your project.
Good luck!
Mark,
One of the activities you mentioned was to have students build something with one of the highlighted rocks or minerals. Perhaps you could also have the students select 2 or 3 other highlighted rocks or minerals and have them explain why they would NOT use them-- they would have to explain why they would be unsuitable for the task at hand. This might help you to know that they understand more than one.
Another possibility would be to have students show their drawings and give clues about the rock or mineral they have chosen to build their object with. Other students in the class would guess which rock/mineral they were describing.
So far I have found several interesting websites on rocks and minerals and one on interactive boards, but I haven't been able to locate something that will help move your activity up the LoTi scale. Here are the sites I have found interesting just in case you find something to help you:
http://geologyonline.museum.state.il.us/ nice photos here
http://www.fi.edu/fellows/payton/rocks/create/index.html
http://edtech.kennesaw.edu/web/rocks.html
http://www.chariho.k12.ri.us/curriculum/MISmart/ocean/rocksong.htm song of three types
http://eduscapes.com/sessions/smartboard/#8
http://geologyonline
.museum.state.il.us/
http://www.fi.edu/
fellows/payton/rocks
/create/index.html
http://edtech.kennesaw
.edu/web/rocks.html
http://www.chariho.k12
.ri.us/curriculum/
MISmart/ocean/rocksong
.htm song of three
types
http://eduscapes.com
/sessions/smartboard/
#8
Mark,
Excellent idea! You've really put a great deal of time into make a great lesson.
If you haven't used the smartboard before, I would carve out some time to practice using it. They are not real difficult to use but to more familiar you are with the board and the program then it will help you out when you come back to the lab. I'm sure you've already thought of that though.
Roman
Post a Comment